What are you looking to do with GWT? I mean what is your knowledge
base in knowing Java, which doesn't matter much, but you have to at
least understand the syntax. The next step after that is to just pick
a development IDE which is the easiest way to use GWT. I use Netbeans,
but you can also use Eclipse which is what GWT has a lot of
information on. Then start off with small applications adding to them
as you learn new things about GWT. GWT is not that hard to use, but it
is like any new library, you have to play with it to understand how it
works. I've gotten pretty good at it, and it only took me two weeks to
get a real good understanding of how it works. I'm sure the guys at
Google would cringe at some of my code, but hey all that matters is
that I get my projects to work. Primarily I would start with working
on laying out a site with panels, using VerticalPanel,
HorizontalPanel, FlowPanel, AbsolutePanel, and the DockPanel, these
are the primary panels you will use in GWT. Then it is just a matter
of adding widgets to these panels and using Google to search for
solutions to any problems you run into. I have spent countless hours
searching through posts and blogs. I wouldn't suggest buying a book
because it is not really necessary, unless you want to learn about how
GWT compiles Java into javascript.

Be more descriptive in the problems you are having in getting started
and I will see what I can do to help you.

James