For what it's worth, there's a Josh Bloch video where he talks about
javascript vs gwt.  Clearly he's a java hacker, but still interesting:
Starts at 5:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR1E5zO-eBo

I really think the reluctance to pickup gwt (and use other toolkits)
are strong anti-java, pro-dynamic language, anti-static-type language
preferences.  There are just so many reasons to use gwt, as long as
you can tollerate java.