While I appreciate your efforts:
We recently were faced with a requirement with multiple file upload.
After lot of research and trying out swfupload we concluded that the
best approach(for now) is using gears Desktop api for this purpose.
swfupload had huge problems with flash 10 release. Basically adobe
decided to change the way multiple file upload is handled for
"security reasons". In my experience there is no silver bullet as far
as multiple file upload functionality is concerned. Nothing against
swfupload, it is a great library in its own rights. But flash in my
experience is not reliable/credible enough for this specific purpose.
People might vary in opinion and I totally respect it.

Rakesh Wagh