I'm going to try the BulkTableRenderer today.
I want to be able to catch button right click events on the row and
don't see text being able to catch those and therefore made labels for
each cell.  I did exchange Label for setText to verify speed change
but building the grid was still slow .

Thanks for all the suggestions,  any more? =)
Jim