Hi Pierre,

Funnily enough I've just met a similar problem - a start up serlvet
that fires up a number of server resources, but I cannot start it in
hosted mode because you  can't doctor the embedded Tomcat web.xml. I
hacked around this by sticking an init() in one of my early call
servlets that checks if things have been set up (which they will have
been if deployed) and if not kicks off the start up procedures.

Having thought about it a more satisfactory approach might be to use
an if (!GWT.isScript()) {}; statement at the head of onModuleLoad()
that called a simple RPC service that booted the start up procedures
for hosted mode, but would be ignored in production.

regards
gregor