Ultimately I think much of my concern will be moot because SSL will be
turned on at all times. However, I do love academic discussions. As
for #1, let's say we refresh the page or the user closes the browser
and comes back. Either of those events requires the application to
initializes its static variable for the SID FROM the cookie, yes? This
is an occasion where I do not see a good solution for improving upon
an obvious security flaw in favor of usability.

As for #2, can Tomcat not be configured to store state (as long as it
is serializable) in a persistent store, such as a file system or
database? I am incredibly familiar with ASP.NET and web application
design in general, but am using GWT to create a cross-platform web-
app, so please pardon the newbish questions WRT Tomcat as an app-tier.
Doing some digging in my JSP book, it does appear that Tomcat can be
configured to use a shared state server for the purposes of clustering
web servers. In this case, doesn't #2 go back to "Let Tomcat handle
it"?

Thank you again!