Your authentication would be better handled outside of GWT (i.e; SSO
or form-based login).  But for the application itself, that approach
sounds reasonable.  By putting the SOAP client in a servlet, you have
access to a wide range of libraries that you can use to interact with
the SOAP services, and you won't have to mess with marshalling/
unmarshalling messages at all.  I have seen a lot of projects that use
this approach.

You aren't likely to find any "framework" that interacts with SOAP
services from the browser.  Like gregor said, it would be extremely
slow to handle those messages in javascript.  You also might consider
Applets.