> So things related to Javascript and HTML have nothing to do with GWT?
AFAIK: If you can do it with HTML and JS, you can also do it with GWT.

> I insist, how do I open a, for example MS Word, from a GWT
> instruction?
If you can get this to work, using HTML and JS only, it will also work
with GWT.

But your Problem is not GWT specific at all. It's more a general
Problem:
How to open an Application on the Clientside in a Webbrowser?
So you should try to get an answer to this in an appropriate forum or
user group.
If you have the answer for this, people here will surely help you if
you have problemes implementing it in GWT.

my 2 cents to your original question:
"How to open an Application on the Clientside in a Webbrowser?"
I don't think that you can force a browser to open a file in an
application of your choice.
e.g. in Firefox I can select which application to use dependant on the
filetype: e.g. open .mp3 with quicktime, ..