I use it in some utility projects.  The only problem I have ever had with it is
when using jsni in a class with lomboked code.  GWT compiler chokes on some
generated variable names, but splitting the jsni into a separate class resolved
that.  As far as jdk breakages they haven't been much of a hinderance here, but
we upgrade slowly due to gwt anyways.  Java 9 appears it will better support
building against old jdks so I think those issues will be fewer going forward
possibly, but only time will tell.