Dev mode works just fine with GWT 2.8 in old Firefox 24 esr and IE11.
I'm still using it (together with superdev + sdbg), and devmode is quite
better and "faster to develop with" from Java point of view, because
variables/expressions tabs in Eclipse are convenient and "live", also hints
with values are shown on mouse over in editor.