Did you separate the modules in:

   - client
   - shared
   - server

... with its own classpath? Or did you put them together in *one project
with one classpath*?

The latter is not good, because you may get "classpath hell" so GWT
transpiler uses wrong libs to transpile the Java code.

I definitely would try to separate the modules... also because you said,
that in a small stand-alone project the mechanism works well.

Hope this helps,
Lofi