Apologies.  That stackoverflow example gets blocked due to cross origin.

Just ran a simple test:

<script>
async function readClipboard () {
  if (!navigator.clipboard) {
    // Clipboard API not available
    return
  }
  try {
    const text = await navigator.clipboard.readText();
    document.querySelector('.clipboard-content').innerText = text;
  } catch (err) {
    console.error('Failed to copy!', err)

function updateClipboard() {
  // Here You Can Debug without DomException
  debugger
  const clipboard = document.querySelector('.clipboard-content').innerText;
  document.querySelector('.clipboard-content').innerText = 'Updated => ' +
clipboard;
}
</script>

<button onclick="readClipboard()">Paste</button>
<button onclick="updateClipboard()">Edit</button>

and it worked fine (browser popped up a message asking for permission).