Hi Ian ... thanks for the response.

Let me put it in code then:

Widget w = new MyCompilicatedWidget();

DeckPanel deck = new DeckPanel();
deck.add(w);
deck.showWidget(0);

RootPanel.get("main").add(deck);

// This doesn't work ... shows up as a single black line, however:

Widget w = new MyCompilicatedWidget();
SimplePanel simple = new SimplePanel();
simple.setWidget(w);
RootPanel.get("main").add(s);

// Works fine, or even:

RootPanel.get("main").add(new MyCompilicatedWidget());

// End code

Assuming I have no styles applied to my DeckPanel (which I don't), I
don't see how this can be a CSS issue.  Thanks for the suggestion
though, I'll dig a little deeper.

Also, not surprising, the same behavior happens for a TabPanel, which
makes sense because it uses a DeckPanel.