Can only answer the first one, and partially.  I was teaching a high
school web design class a couple of years ago and a kid copied and
pasted about a zillion characters into a text area and got it to
fail.  I'm sitting on a bus right now so I don't have the specifics,
but I seem to remember it was rather large, like 256,000 characters or
something.  Also vaguely remember that it was different between the
browsers, but this was IE6 era....