On 16 avr, 11:53, Vitali Lovich <vlov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a particular reason you recommend this approach as opposed to using
> the HTML widget?  For something as simple as this, it seems like overkill to
> build-up a whole widget wrapping this when it doesn't seem to offer anything
> over using HTML.

Well, the new wrap() constraints from GWT 1.6 are a reason (you cannot
wrap an element that has an ancestor element which "looks like" a
widget element).
Building a specialized widget has also the advantage of the API you're
exposing (be it to your own use only), otherwise why not go the low-
level route wholly and use DOM.setEventListener and DOM.sinkEvents
(and don't forget to call DOM.setEventListener(elt, null) on window
close or you'll leak memory)?
...and creating a new widget is probably much easier than you'd think
at first sight (even more with GWT 1.6 and its new event handlers)

It's a matter of a) taste b) whether you're using widgets already (and
might face the wrap() restriction) and c) what kind of code you're
(dayre is) porting and how you want (he wants) it ported (rewrite
using GWT widgets? or port the code without fully rewriting it).

My understanding is that dayre wants to rewrite his jQuery-based app
to GWT widgets, otherwise he would have used GQuery ;-)
(or more seriously, he wouldn't have said "The reason i'm not using
existing GWT widgets, which my example
doesn't show, is because i'm trying to attach an onclick() event to
ordered list items (<li>text</li>).   There doesn't seem to be a
widget which easily allows for this.")

http://code.google.com/p/gwtquery/