>  I'm totally against having GWT compile
> directly into /src/main/webapp. It's completely against the principles
> of keeping your source tree clean and putting all artifacts under
> target. If you stick with traditional maven approach, it means you
> need to execute war:exploded first before launching hosted mode (and
> again if you want to change something without restarting the hosted
> mode).

I think your remarks are worth for filing a new issue. Somewhere in
the 1.6 announcement, Googler Miguel Méndez asked "What aspects would
you need to be able to change in order to make the plugin more Maven
friendly? " (http://groups.google.com/group/Google-Web-Toolkit/msg/
9a3b994595f129db)? Yours is a pretty good response to that question.