The server side is simple enough if you are already familiar with JEE,
The RemoteServiceServlet (GWT RPC Servlets) are just regular servlets
as far as the server is concerned, so you can call your EJBs just the
same way you would in any JEE app, so simply googling for JEE examples
should help there.

you can use JPA objects (sortof) but you'd want to do some searching
on the list here to see what the pitfalls are. But using DTOs to send
objects to the client via RPC is pretty easy and avoids the pitfalls.

-jason