If you're using Spring, you might want to take a look at Spring
Security. It handles session management and role based security for
you. You can then couple that with a check against the server side if
the user's session is still valid. You can either do this with a Timer
(if you want to time them out right away) or build it into your
page/screen changing system.

We do the latter using a history management filter whereby history
changes go through a number of filters before arriving at the correct
handler. If the user check filter catches the user isn't logged in, we
show them the login screen.

--
Arthur Kalmenson