Well, I'd imaginge there'd be a serious problem using the GWT implementation
- doesn't it use JSNI at points?  You could try to write one inspired by it
using guice.

The JSON transport is pointeless going between two java servers - just use
regular serialization.  You'll see much faster performance & you don't need
to write any code for that (the JVM takes care of it for you).  Also, the
JVM serialization approach is far more robust & reliable & has less
restrictions.

For the asynchronous part, you could launch a new thread that establishes a
TCP connection & calls back your callback when it's done.

Optionally, you could use UDP datagrams whereby the callback will happen on
the event loop.

You still have to of course write thread-safe code either way.