Hi Danny,

It sounds like you've resolved the issue, but I'd like to reiterate
for any other users having problems.

GWT and App Engine work well together, but as Vitali mentioned, they
are orthogonal and can be used in isolation just as easily.  When
creating a new Web Application project using the Eclipse plugin, use
the checkboxes in the Google SDKs group to choose whether to support
GWT, App Engine, or both.  To configure existing projects, open
project properties and navigate to Google -> Web Toolkit or Google ->
App Engine to enable or disable that SDK for your project.

Keith