TreeMap is not a persistent store.  Cookies are a persistent store.  One way
would be to serialize/deserialize from a string.  Or store directly in
cookies the key-value pairs encoded as strings.

You may run into problems - there might be limits on the number of cookies a
web site can have.  It definitely has a limit on the size of each cookie,
all cookies combined.  They're also not trully persistent - for that you
need HTML5 datastore support.  It's based off of Google Gears (I'm pretty
sure there's a library floating around that'll use HTML5 or Gears depending
on what is available).

HTML5 datastore support is Safari 4, FF 3.5, IE8.  Not sure about Opera (I
believe it's going to be 10.0).

As you noted, Google Gears has platform issues on Linux (Browsers on Windows
tend to be 32-bit even on 64-bit platforms).