Having just upgraded to 1.6.4 myself today, I had a similar experience
and it's especially problematic because I have 6 modules, and they all
replicate all the images 6 times.

I read http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/wiki/WAR_Design_1_6
which details the layout, but I still have some questions. In an
effort to reduce application footprint, I have all my images and all
my css in a shared directory,

war/images/{dir1,dir2,dir3}
   and
war/css

respectively.

When I compile I end up with

war/module1/images/{dir1,dir2,dir3}
war/module2/images/{dir1,dir2,dir3}
war/module3/images/{dir1,dir2,dir3}

Note that the CSS (only in war/css uses only the images in the shared
war/images). Does the GWT compiler do this because the JS on the page
needs direct access to the images?

Is there a way to spec an image bundle?

Thanks,
Benjamin