On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Deep Blue <deep.blue...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible to create an encyption / decryption layer around GWT
> rpc mechanism?
>
> The problem is currently in GWT rpc, all the data are sent / received
> from server in JSON text (although SSL can help protect middle-man
> attack, but launching firefox with firebug can see all the post data
> in clear text).

SSL is fine.  What your thinking of is impossible (& it's why there's no
such thing as fool-proof DRM).  You're trying to have Alice send a secret
message to Bob while keeping that message secret from Alice.

> Anyone got any idea how to create a layer to encrypt the data in
> server side (after the serialization), and decrypt it in client side
> (before the deserialization)?

You could always supply the server's RSA public key to have the serializer
encrypt the data with that prior to sending, but I don't see the purpose
since the user can still use firebug to put a breakpoint in the serializer
code to read the data before-hand.  You're just making your life more
difficult & complicated without reason.

> I know it can't totally prevent the user from decrypting (since the
> decryption logic is sent to user's pc as javascript), but it is better
> than expose the data in clear text just using firebug plugin.

I think you need to learn how asymmetric encryption works.  Just because you
have the algorithm & encryption key doesn't mean you can decrypt the data.
 If you're thinking of the symmetric encryption (i.e. AES), then yes,
algorithm + encryption key is enough to decrypt.