I want to make a gwt app with large number of concurrent users.  Users
will run many queries.  Shouldn't I keep the connection open in this
servlet so it can execute the queries faster like below?  In the code
below, for every user accessing this servlet does it create a new
connection to the database or use one connection object in the servlet
scope?  Or should I use connection pooling?

import java.sql.*;

public class GreetingServiceImpl extends RemoteServiceServlet
implements
                GreetingService {

        private Connection connection;

        public GreetingServiceImpl(){
                //Open the connection here
        }

        public String greetServer(String input) {

                //Use the connection here
                Statement stmt = connection.createStatement();
                ..<do JDBC work>..