I don't know exactly what you mean with pass an argument to a GWT
application. But I've done a web site application which I put a
parameter in its url (something like http://domainename?param1=xxx&param2=yyyy).
I manage to get the parameter using JSP page and transfer it to the
GWT module via DOM.

Here is my application :

http://gwt-mind-mapping.appspot.com/mindmapping-getfile.jsp?username=bosang...@yahoo.com&fileName=TODO

Hope that helps.