On 06/07/2009 04:44 AM, william.synt...@googlemail.com wrote:
> There does not seem to be anywhere to advise Google about problems
> with the web site, so I thought making a post here might be helpful
> (apologies in advance if it is not).
>
> In the GWT tutorial (http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/tutorials/1.6/
> create.html) this section:
>
> Selecting Quirks Mode vs. Standards Mode
> To provide better cross-browser compatibility, GWT sets the doctype
> declaration to HTML 4.01 Transitional. This sets the rendering engine
> to "Standards Mode". If you remove this line, the page will be
> rendered in "Quirks Mode", which means that all of the old browser
> bugs will still be present. In some cases, for example if you are
> integrating with an application that relies on some of the browser-
> specific bugs being present, you might want to use "Quirks Mode".
>
> says the opposite of the comments in the actual code:
>
> <!-- The HTML 4.01 Transitional DOCTYPE declaration-->
> <!-- above set at the top of the file will set     -->
> <!-- the browser's rendering engine into           -->
> <!-- "Quirks Mode". Replacing this declaration     -->
> <!-- with a "Standards Mode" doctype is supported, -->
> <!-- but may lead to some differences in layout.   -->
>
> According to the Wikipedia article on the subject (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quirks_mode) the transitional document WITHOUT a
> system identifier (as is used in the tutorial) is setting quirks mode.
> WITH a system identifier ("http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"; in
> the DOCTYPE tag), standards mode is used.
>
> Regards,
>
> William

It could be clearer.

The complete quote (including the DTD) would be helpful:

    <!-- The HTML 4.01 Transitional DOCTYPE declaration-->
    <!-- above set at the top of the file will set     -->
    <!-- the browser's rendering engine into           -->
    <!-- "Quirks Mode". Replacing this declaration     -->
    <!-- with a "Standards Mode" doctype is supported, -->
    <!-- but may lead to some differences in layout.   -->

Notice that there is no system identifier; which absence will trigger
quirks mode according to the web page you reference.

See the row for "Transitional" on that page in the "Comparison of
document types" section.

Cheers,
jec