Possibly another approach would be to combine Ajax with one Module per
page. The top module would be in charge of fetching and placing pages
into the main placeholder. The top module takes input from the user
(clicks on a menu or other links within each page itself) and uses the
unique parameter from each event to know which "page" to load. The top
module does an Ajax request to your server to fetch the correct page.
So the added work here is that you have to create a controller on the
server that matches a unique page ID to a particular GWT Module. The
server controller sends the entire top level entry point html file
associated with the specific GWT Module (page) as the response to the
Ajax request. The top module places that html into the main
placeholder and it gets evaluated, the script tag pointing to the
MyPackage.Pagexx.nocache.js file gets evaluated to request for that js
file and thus its onModuleLoad() method will be ran at the end of
that.

I think that would work but I haven't tried it myself.

Like I said, GWT ought to have included a way to do this.