Hi Ed,

IE is always going to throw you some interesting challenges.  The one
you've hit here relates to IE only applying filters if an element has
"position".  You've achieved that by directly setting the element's
height; another, perhaps more common way is to set the zoom style
property to 1, i.e. element.getStyle().setProperty("zoom", "1");

You might also want to note that your code will not work in IE8 in
strict mode as Microsoft are finally beginning to edge towards
something resembling standards compliance, and the "filter" CSS
property is replaced with the more correct "-ms-filter" (eg. see:
http://acidmartin.wordpress.com/2008/11/28/setting-opacity-and-other-filters-in-internet-explorer-8/)

//Adam