Cool, thanks again for the help. I am confused by the last paragraph
but I think it's because you're looking at the code at the first URL
rather than the second one:

http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/tutorials/1.6/Xsite.html

The code at that URL uses 'window' instead of $wnd. So I think this
does pollute the window namespace. No?

-Mike

On Jul 20, 6:41 pm, Thomas Broyer <t.bro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 20 juil, 22:26, mike <mikebannis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Darth, ...ahh, great thanks.
>
> > I got to $wnd to work for code in the cross-site communication
> > tutorial. I think the problem was that I was using "document and $wnd"
> > rather than "$doc and $wnd". I haven't completely worked out in my
> > head why the former wouldn't work but it seems sensible that you would
> > need to make sure it's all either happening on the host page or all in
> > the iframe.
>
> You add your script node to 'document' (which lives in 'window') but
> you define the callback function in $wnd. When the script loads, it
> calls a function called "callback<ID>" (where ID is a counter); in
> JavaScript, this is equivalent to calling window.callbackID (because
> 'window', and window.window, and window.window.window, and etc. is the
> "global object"); but as I said before, the function doesn't exist, as
> it has been actually defined in $wnd.
>
> Incidentally, if you <add-linker name="xs" /> in your gwt.xml, it'll
> work, because in this case $wnd == window and $doc == document.
>
> > Any guess why the tutorial uses window/document rather than $wnd/
> > $doc ?
>
> That way, it doesn't "pollute" the window name space (only the $wnd
> name space, which is only ever used by your GWT compiled code), as it
> uses "window[something] = ..." constructs (incidentally, if you <add-
> linker name="xs" />, it *will* pollute the window namespace).

COol