You shouldn't have to compile the source code differently depending on
the browser. Depending on what browser is loading the main javascript
(which GWT gets compiled into), a special .js is loaded for that
browser.

That being said, some times I've personally noticed things like
formatting have been off on one then the other. Spacing, IMAGES
especially, slight colors, things like that.

What is different about FF and IE in your case? Is it the lack of CSS
in FF? I would use Firebug to examine your CSS, make sure everything
is there. I've had small bugs in my css, like too many brackets or
something like that. IE will ignore it and parse the rest of the CSS
fine, FF will ignore everything below the bug making the page look
off. I've started putting new CSS in the beginning of my page so it's
pretty obvious when FF finds a bug and ignores the rest of the CSS.