I don't fully know the answer to your question, but this might help:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/aio.html

You probably already knew this, but catalina is an internal name for
Apache's Tomcat server. It is likely that you may need to do some
additional configuration before you can do Comet-like stuff in hosted
mode.

HTH
Nathan