I have some decent Sybase and GWT experience.  I built a trading
application using both technologies.  Are you in Finance by the way?

I am guessing you will not be able to use AppEngine so best to disable
it.

Anyway, it sounds like you are trying to call Sybase from the web
client side which you should give up on.  You should use a Servlet
(built in Server Side GWT) to make the database calls.

If you are trying to access Sybase from the serverside, you may have a
bad driver.  The free Sybase drivers out there often do not work.
Sybase sort of has people by the balls.  We purchased the DataDirect
Driver to make Sybase Calls for a price of around 300 USD.

I hope this is helpful.  If you need further help feel free to email
me directly

-Joseph