Assuming the user sets a time to elapse and then presses 'Go', you need to
work out the time the countdown will expire, then set a recurring timer to
check the difference (you'll get this in milliseconds) then display the
difference in whatever format you choose.
You need to work to an end time rather than have a timer tick every second
and knock a second off the total. This is because the timer is not accurate
- it depends on when the computer decides to give the browser a time-slice,
and that depends on the computer loading and priorities and interrupts and
so on. Over longer periods you can get quite an error margin.

You also need to set the Timer() you use to recur quite often, probably
about every 100ms or the display won't click over evenly. If you set it to
1000ms for example, every so often you will skip the displaying of one of
the seconds.

Ian

http://examples.roughian.com