No, appending HTML &nbsp to a string doesn't work to solve my
problem.  However, I have found if I append a period and a space (sort
of as a single character) each space is retained because of the
protecting period, I can get close enough for my purposes.

If I could now set the font to a monospced font like Courier, I would
be "home free", I think; but that seems not to be possible at present.

I feel like I have "solved" my problem, for now.  (Kind of sloppy, but
it works.)  Thank you.