Hi Joe,
Please see reply inlined below.

Hmm. The gwt code to load the cache.html seems to be ignoring error
> states:
>
> line 315:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/source/browse/trunk/dev/core/src/com/google/gwt/core/linker/IFrameTemplate.js?r=5513
> xhr.onreadystatechange = function() {
>      // 4 == DONE
>      if (xhr.readyState == 4) {
>
> Shouldn't we add another check like:
>
> if( xhr.status != 200 || xhr.status != 304 ) throwDocumentError();
>
> This is probably a good thing to add in do you think?

You make a good point here. I think it would make sense to have a hook that
developers could implement here for such failure cases.

Would you mind filing an issue for this in the Issue Tracker? That way,
you'll automatically be notified of updates to the issue, and I can
assigning to someone on the team for further consideration.

Issue Tracker:
http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list

Cheers,
-Sumit Chandel