On 22 sep, 15:18, SEI <s...@isr.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we created a very generic application. It is possible to edit some XML-
> Files and the UI changes completely.
>
> Unfortunately this causes a very bloated DOM-tree. We have some panels
> which consist of many other panels which again consist of other panels
> and so on. The maximum depth of the generated DOM-tree is about 70,
> mainly div-tags. Resizing such a panel in Firefox is now very slow
> (about 3 to 5 seconds). IE & Opera are quite OK, Chrome kicks ass ;)
>
> Of course we don't want to give up our flexibility, but on the other
> hand we have to support Firefox. It's also important to know that we
> use some widgets from GWT-Ext. I think such a generic panel consists
> of 50 % GWT-Widgets and 50 % GWT-Ext-Widgets.
>
> Does anyone know, why Firefox has problems which those nested panels?
> Or is there some special layout or widget which causes this problem?

Any "layout" that uses window resize events will (potentially) slow
the browser down. It might be that Firefox dispatches much more resize
events than other browsers and that's what would cause the slow down
in Firefox but not other browsers.
Simple check: add a resizehandler that "prints" something to the
console (console.log()) or a <div> and compare the results between
browsers.