You don't need to toolbar to use the RichTextArea, but it's pretty
useless without it since you won't be able to do any formatting with
the text.

But as far as disabling the RichTextArea, I don't think it's going to
work since the RichTextArea is rendered as an iframe element. If you
want to have a similar effect of disabling you can swap out the
RichTextArea with an HTML element that has styling of a disabled text
box (black border, light gray backround, dark gray text). Then swap
back in the RichTextArea when you want to enable it.