I'm struggeling with this now - did you guys solve it?  I have a
simple client class that will be a parent in a simple parent-child
relationship.  If i add an ArrayList property to the parent class (i
don't even have to decorate it as persistant) i get

EVERE: [1254861190636000] javax.servlet.ServletContext log: Exception
while dispatching incoming RPC call
com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.SerializationException: Type
'org.datanucleus.sco.backed.List' was not included in the set of types
which can be serialized by this SerializationPolicy or its Class
object could not be loaded. For security purposes, this type will not
be serialized.

i've tried java.util.list and java.util.arraylist with same result -
defiitly not a 'org.datanucleus.sco.backed.List'

what's odd is that the RPC call runs in a way and the object is
persisted but without the list field.

Anyway - this seems like something that can't be passed in an RPC call
but i don't see why

@PersistenceCapable(identityType = IdentityType.APPLICATION)
public class Catagory extends BaseTreeModel implements Serializable {

public  Catagory() {}

        @PrimaryKey
    @Persistent(valueStrategy = IdGeneratorStrategy.IDENTITY)
    @Extension(vendorName="datanucleus", key="gae.encoded-pk",
value="true")
        private String key;

         @Persistent(mappedBy = "catagory")
   private  List<SubCatagory> subcatagories;

}