I had the same problem, as well, I think it had something to do with
where I got the date object from for me (if I create 2 new date
objects on the front end it would work fine, but if I got one of them
from the database then I would have issues).  I just ended up doing a
getTime() on both of my date objects to compare them so instead of...

date1.compareTo(date2)

I would do

date1.getTime() - date2.getTime()

I think I have them in the right order...