Well, what you say here:

"GWT is a "one page" show"

Is absolutely true.  Given that, you'll have to come up with the
solution that suits you best.  Some options are:

 1) Don't use GWT for the login and have it redirect you to your GWT
page when you've authenticated.
 2) Integrate your login into GWT and have it replace the login with
content when you've authenticated.
 3) Create 2 GWT apps, one for login and one for content.

There are probably other options I'm missing ...