I tried your suggestion and it still does not work in ie dev mode. It
works fine in chrome and ff dev mode (and ie compiled). Ie looks like
it is still reposting the url and reloading the application.

Let me elaborate more on the issue I have 2 cases which are failing in
ie dev mode. One is the link above, and the other is a smart gwt combo
box.
The combo box dropdown arrow is a image link and when I click on it,
the application reloads with the same behavior as above. note: the
combo box works fine in chrome and ff.

thanks