VII

-----Original Message-----
From: Rob Tanner <caspersg...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 13:47:24
To: Google Web Toolkit<google-web-toolkit@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Two independent events that can be triggered at the same time -- how
        to control conflict?

I'm writing a self-service password reset program and I have two
independent events that can both be triggered at the same time, but
they conflict.  Folks just simply changing their password would enter
their ID and tab to the password field and enter their password.  When
the text box looses focus (onBlur), so long as there is an entry in
both the user ID and password text boxes, an async call is triggered
that authenticates them.  At that point, the text boxes for entering
your new password are unlocked.  When someone forgets their old
password or the password has expired, they still have to enter their
user ID and then they press a "don't know" that asks them a series of
questions.  That's fine and good, so long as the person doesn't enter
anything in the current password field.  But when anything has been
entered in the password field and they hit the "don't know" button,
the password field looses focus and an authentication process is
triggered resulting in an error.

So, my question is: when the "don't know" button has been pressed, how
can I prevent the async call that does the authentication?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College