On Mar 18, 2:29 pm, Jon Britton <mankillseveryth...@googlemail.com>
wrote:
> Do you mean this is because both my client and server are running on
> the same machine?

Running on the same machine does not necessarily mean "having the same
origin". The "origin" is composed of the scheme (http or https), host
name (whether it resolves to the same IP doesn't matter; localhost is
different from 127.0.0.1 which is different from your IP on the
network and your network hostname) and the port (not specifying the
port being different from explicitly giving the default port, i.e.
http://localhost is different from http://localhost:80)
The best way to not violate the SOP is to only use the path and query
parts of the URL and let the browser resolve it against the "current
origin" (and base path).

> When I try an external URL like "http://search.twitter.com/search.json?
> callback=foo&q=twitter" it still doesn't work... I just get back a
> blank response and no error.

And a 0 status code? If that is the case, it would mean that your code
do violate the SOP. Switch to URL references without scheme, host and
port, or make sure they are the same as the one from Window.Location.