That sounds familiar.
I wanted to the the same thing some time back which is when I wrote
this:
http://priyanksden.blogspot.com/2009/11/incorporating-gwt-into-your-project.html

It works with GWT 2.0 too.

Integrating GWT is a common tasks that most nontrivial applications
have to go through.
Each project has its own structure and the plugin generated code
structure might not be suitable for the existing project.
I hope to see some easy ways to configure this in the plugin. I'm
particularly interested in simple ways to configure (and change) the
web root folder path,
and server config for devmode.

 Official plugin support for this would be great.