You can support /johndoe and /tom if you want, but be aware that going from
/johndoe to /tom will be a page reload. On the other hand, going from
/#johndoe to /#tom will just be a javascript call, though you are likely
going to make a RPC /Ajax call to download new data.

To achieve that, create a custom servlet (or RESTlet, in your case) that
responds to all requests with the same HTML resource. Then, in the
onModuleLoad of your GWT application, you can read the path using
Window.Location, parse it to get the user name, and then make RPC calls to
get the data for that user.

--Sri