On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 11:05 PM, Sripathi Krishnan
<sripathikrish...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Technically, in the very first request, the server already knows user
>> browsers' type, is that feasible to:
>>   combine 1), 2) and 3) together or
>>   combine 1) and 2) together or
>>   some other consideration
>
> You are right, this is possible. See this discussion thread -
> http://groups.google.com/group/google-web-toolkit/browse_thread/thread/5ddf93a126cc9e47/2f41ef3044145b5a?lnk=gst&q=Determining+Permutation+on+Server
>
> But, before going down that optimization path, there are several other
> low-hanging-fruits to speed up your website. I looked at your website via
> firebug, and the following issues come to my mind -
>
> *.cache.xxx file don't have a 'far into the future' expires header.
> Several (30 or so) images get downloaded at startup. None of these images
> have aggressive cache settings. You are not using GWTs ImageBundles to
> potentially inline these images.
> You have atleast 2 RPC calls at startup (getDayContent and
> getTargettedContent).The response of these calls is known ahead of time
> (since they don't depend on any user input), and hence you could potentially
> inline their response in the html and then use a Dictionary to read it in
> onModuleLoad. Or you could use a ClientBundle to compile the data with your
> application. Either way, you save two important 'pseudo-asnyc' requests that
> delay initial rendering of your application.
> I see you have a custom implementation to trace performance events. Have you
> taken a look at GWTs Lightweight Metrics?
>
> --Sri
>

> On 7 May 2010 02:21, Michael W <mwang_2...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> We launched our GWT production of http://www.holidayinn.com few months
>> ago and we are in the phrase to tune the performance.
>>
>> We see quick high percentage of traffics coming from nocach.js and
>> cache.html, and just thinking how to reduce over all traffics.
>>
>> The normal flow of GWT would be like followings:
>> 1)      The user request the website, the first server call is to get
>> generated html file (from JSP/Servlet)
>> 2)      Then browser sends second request to fetch nocach.js with
>>     <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript" src="/
>> directory/xyz.nocache.js"></script>
>> 3)      Based on the user browser's type, the browser send third request
>> get .cache.html
>> 4)      Few RPC calls to get real content.
>>
>> So at least three requests are executed in sequence before the user
>> can see something. It is kind of expensive.
>>
>> Technically, in the very first request, the server already knows user
>> browsers' type, is that feasible to:
>>   combine 1), 2) and 3) together or
>>   combine 1) and 2) together or
>>   some other consideration
>>
>> Would like to hear your opinions.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --Michael

Michael,

You may find it easier to analyze performance issues in your app using
SpeedTracer: http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/speedtracer/get-started.html

(You are correct that you can eliminate that initial round trip by
doing the selection on the server. We refer to this as 'server-side
selection'. Unfortunately it is not yet part of GWT proper)

--
Chris Conroy
Software Engineer