There is a big difference between a website and a webapp, and deciding which
is more suitable for use case is more important than choosing the
technology.

*Website* is old-school. There are multiple pages, and moving from one page
to another is done via hyperlinks. Websites aren't interactive, and are
largely content driven. A website has information to share, and hence SEO
becomes important. Blogs, newspapers and forums, corporate websites are
great examples.

*Webapps* are the new trend. They typically have just a single page.
Multiple views are simulated using javascript and DOM manipulation. History
and backbutton support are achieved by tricking the browser via fragment
identifiers. Webapps are usually interactive; user performs actions and site
responds quickly. Webapps are typically personalized for a user, and hence
SEO doesn't matter much. Gmail, Wave, Facebook are great examples of
webapps.

You have to decide whether you need a Content-driven Website or an
interactive, personalized Webapp. Nobody can help you there.

Once you have made the decision, it becomes very simple. If your
requirements tend towards a Website, use server-side technologies like
JSP/Spring Webflow. Then use a js library like JQuery or YUI (or whatever)
and progressively enhance it to get a richer experience. DO NOT attempt to
build such a website using GWT; you are going to be dissatisfied with the
outcome. Although GWT has support for history, backbutton and SEO, its a lot
easier to get it right using traditional technologies.

But if what you want is more like a webapp, welcome to GWT! URLs can still
be bookmarkable - only they will end in #profile, #community and #videos.
History management comes automatically if you have bookmarkable urls. To
make it seo friendly, read the Ajax Crawling
article<http://code.google.com/web/ajaxcrawling/>.
Mixing JSP's and GWT is possible but in general a bad idea, because multiple
jsps are an indication that you want a website. More importantly, loading a
GWT module is expensive, and you only want to do that once per user
session.

There are ways to overcome the problems you mention using both technologies.
The decision to use a particular technology should be based on your
requirements (website v/s app), and not on the specific problems you have
enumerated.

--Sri