Hi Lothar, Thanks again for your help,

> first of all (offtopic), try to conform to the quoting standards.
> preceding '--'s are not.

Ok.  You're right.  Sorry about that.

> We were talking about dates where you need timezones. A birthday
> is a quite bad example for that.

Yes I see your point.  However, the birthday information is precisely
the kind of information I am attempting to record.  That is, a month,
day, year value that is fixed and independent of timezone.

I am using a DateBox on the GWT gui.  And when I select June 1, 2010
as I run the application on my local machine, I can see that June 1,
2010 is stored with the data and this is correct.  But when I run the
application online and select June 1, 2010 I see that May 31, 2010 is
stored with the data and that is not what I want.

> Date is just an Object around a long-value representing the
> milliseconds since Jan 1, 1970 00:00:00 UTC. So you can send
> the UTC time to the server or you evaluate the HTTP-request-
> headers of the request on the server side to find out what
> timezone the browser resides in to convert it to UTC on
> server-side.

This is a very good suggestion and this may help me with the
situation.  I'll work with this idea a bit.  Thanks again.