this is a different problem, but it goes into how events are hooked up
together. pay attention to the handlers, check out the Place Providers
and how the events are registered with an EventBus (which is just an
extension of EventHandler). I hope it helps:

http://code.google.com/p/handlebars/wiki/PlaceServiceOverview

some of the wiki references classes from source, which are available
in that project.