If you don't really need to open a new window to start the download,
you could make a call to the server and fetch the url to de document.
Then simply put this inside a hyperlink on the application or inside a
dialogbox.

Then the user just need to click on the link to download the file.
This don't make the user navigate to another window, if the HTTP
headers defining the mime-type of the document are correct.
There are also another HTTP header which forces the browser to
download the contents of the url instead of display it, but i can't
remember it...